Special occasions in Britain often require a multitude of different dress codes.
For private events such as parties, balls etc, the dress code will usually be stated on the invitation.
Public events - for example, Royal Ascot, Henley Royal Regatta etc. - vary in formality and the required dress code often depends on what type of ticket or enclosure badge you have.
Dress codes are strictly observed in Britain - failure to comply would be considered rude or, at worse, you would be refused entry to the event.
Ensure that you dress correctly with our essential guides to what to wear.
- Debrett's guide to black tie dress codes
- Debrett's guide to white tie dress codes
- Debrett's gide to morning dress
- Debrett's guide to evening wear
- Guide to smart casual wear
- Debrett's guide to wearing lounge suits
- Debrett's guide to wearing hats
- Debrett's guide to kilt étiquette