Are you hosting at home this Mothering Sunday or Easter? Do you see it as a chance to prove you're the perfect host? Or does it leave you with a feeling of dread?
Fret not, because we've put together a 7-step strategy for you to pull off the perfect dinner party.
- Don't become a victim of vaunting ambition. Assess your culinary skills, budget and venue before tailoring your social occasion to fit your capabilities.
- Make the nature of the event absolutely clear to your guests. They will feel understandably annoyed if they turn up to a formal dinner in jeans and trainers.
- Ensure to ask guests if they have any allergies when sending out invitations and ensure that you have this in mind when buying ingredients & preparing food.
- Remember that your primary role is to be the host. Attend to your guests at all times and don't allow yourself to be drawn into an intimate tête à tête with someone.
- Have a seating plan. Even if it's an informal one in your head, explain to your guests where you'd like them to sit.
- Work out your timings. Don't let drinks go on too long and ensure that food is ready when you call everyone to the table.
- Deploy subtle hints by asking if anyone would like: cups of coffee, offers of taxi numbers or spare beds, if the evening is going on too long.
Best of luck with your next engagement and bon appétit!